Points Miles and Bling (blog) contains referral or affiliate links. The blog receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continued support. Credit Card issuers are not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information, and Terms and Conditions, click the link included.
In May 2019, Aeroplan had accidently announced a limited partnership which allowed their members to earn miles for travel on Etihad Airways. Now, starting June 3, 2020, Aeroplan has extended that partnership to a full earn and redeem status, which will allow members to book Etihad Airways flights with Aeroplan miles (across all cabins, but not the Residence). This is Yuge!
Aeroplan partnership with Etihad Airways – TLDR
- Members will be able to book Etihad flights online at aeroplan.com, as well as via Contact Centre
- Etihad flights can be combined with flights operated by Air Canada and other international partners
- Fuel surcharges will not apply on Etihad operated flights
- Etihad flights will be subject to the Fixed Mileage Flight Reward chart, available here
Aeroplan miles required for one-way bookings;
First (Etihad Apartment): 115,000
Residence: Not bookable with Aeroplan
5 North American gateways for Etihad Airways
Etihad Airways is the national carrier of the emirate of Abu Dhabi and based out of AUH, with flights to over 110 destinations in Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Americas. Currently the airline offers direct service to/from AUH to 5 destinations in North America;
- Toronto (YYZ): Boeing 777-300 with Business and Economy class layout
- New York (JFK): A380 with Residence, First Class Apartments, Business Studio, and Economy class layout
- Washington DC (IAD): Boeing 789 with First, Business, and Economy class layout
- Chicago (ORD): Boeing 777-300 with Business and Economy class layout
- Los Angeles (LAX): Boeing 777-300 with First, Business and Economy class layout
A snapshot of Etihad global footprint below, opens some amazing award booking possibilities!
Booking Etihad flights with Aeroplan
I was able to do a quick search for Econ, Business and First class awards and see wide availability for later in 2021, few examples;
AUH – JFK (First Class): A380, 115,000 miles + $67.68 CAD
AUH – YYZ (Business Class): Boeing 777, 82,5000 miles + $44.65 CAD
AUH – JFK (Economy Class): 40,000 miles + $67.68 CAD
ZRH – AUH (Business Class): Boeing 789, 45,000 miles + $51.64 CAD