Points Miles and Bling (blog) contains referral or affiliate links. The blog receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continued support. Credit Card issuers are not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information, and Terms and Conditions, click the link included.
Not surprisingly, Aeroplan has yet another innovative offer to engage its membership. With ‘Big Summer Miles Offer‘, registered members can get up to 40% miles back on eligible flight rewards, on all flights operated by Air Canada. And members who purchase eligible cash fares on Air Canada flights, can expect to earn up to 150% bonus Aeroplan miles. Both offers are applicable for bookings made by August 4th, 2020, for travel until September 30, 2020.
While not as generous as the 50% miles back promotion a few weeks ago, this is a good promotion for new reward and cash bookings across Air Canada network.
Lets look at the details;
Big Summer Miles Offer – 40% miles back
The following offers are applicable on one-way or round-trip flights, when booked by August 4th, 2020 for travel by September 30, 2020. Offer will not be applicable to bookings made prior to the start of the Offer Period (July 21st, 2020 at 8:00 EST through to August 4th, 2020 inclusively at 19:59 EST)
- Redeem for a flight and get;
- 30% Aeroplan Miles credited back on an Eligible Flight Reward booked in an Economy class.
- 35% Aeroplan Miles credited back on an Eligible Flight Reward booked in a Premium Economy class.
- 40% Aeroplan Miles credited back on an Eligible Flight Reward booked in Business Class.
While this is a fantastic deal for domestic flights, international routes on Air Canada come with a hefty YQ (taxes, fees, surcharges), which will erode any savings on the miles pretty quickly.
Here is an example: A flight from Toronto to Athens in business class, on AC, is priced at 57,500 miles and $654.16 in taxes. With 40% miles back, the real cost of the trip would be 34,500 + $654.16. The same route on Turkish airlines however, will price at 57,500 + $61.92. Essentially, members will be paying $592.24 more to save 23,000 miles, to fly on Air Canada business class product, in this example.
- Book a cash fare and earn;
- 100% Bonus Aeroplan Miles for the purchase of Economy Standard, Economy Flex, comfort, and Economy Latitude fares
- 150% Bonus Aeroplan Miles for the purchase of Premium Economy lowest, Premium Economy flexible, Premium Rouge; Business Class lowest; and Business Class flexible.
Other recent Aeroplan updates
- Aeroplan formally changed General Terms & Conditions effective July 20, where members will now have 18 months to keep their accounts active, as opposed to the previous 12 month rule. Here is the direct link to the news update.
- Aeroplan continues to offer immense flexibility for reward flight bookings – Now you can cancel Aeroplan Flight Rewards for free through August 31, 2020. Receive all of your Aeroplan Miles back in your account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of your travel.