Points Miles and Bling (blog) contains referral or affiliate links. The blog receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continued support. Credit Card issuers are not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information, and Terms and Conditions, click the link included.
As travel crawls back to life, it’s not surprising to see a healthy competition amongst brands to win over customers, and their wallets. Marriott Bonvoy Status Match (Challenge) is back and they are targeting elite members from all major hotel brands – Hilton, Hyatt, Accor, IHG, and also offering an opportunity for Marriott base members and Silver Elite members to participate in the challenge.
Marriott Bonvoy Status Match (Challenge) – August 2020
As part of the promotion, eligible members can get a status match for 90 days, and then must stay a reduced number of nights within 90 days to keep the new status until February 2022. In order to get fast-track access to Marriott Bonvoy Elite status, members must;
- Register for Status Challenge
- Show proof of your Elite membership in another loyalty program and a stay within the last 12 months
Elite Status members from four specific programs will be matched to reciprocating status challenge offer. Matching to Bonvoy Titanium Elite or Ambassador Elite status is not available for this promotion. Lets take a look at how members from other brands will be matched in Marriott Bonvoy program;
[table id=77 /]
Registration may take a few days to be activated and the 90 day challenge period starts upon registration approval;
- Members matched to Bonvoy Gold must complete 5 eligible paid nights in 90 days
- Members matched to Bonvoy Platinum must complete 15 eligible paid nights in 90 days
Marriott Bonvoy members who do not book and consume eligible paid nights within 90 days after registration approval will revert to the membership level they held prior to this promotion, or to the membership level that corresponds to their total qualifying nights, whichever is higher.
Other key things to note in this promotion:
- Nights consumed prior to registration approval are not eligible
- Only eligible paid nights consumed at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels that occur within the earning period, are eligible
- Only one room per hotel or resort is counted toward a member’s nights
- Paid nights at a qualifying rate count toward the promotion. Nights spent while redeeming an award are ineligible
- Rooms booked through most third-party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion
Full list of Terms and Conditions of the Promotion
I wouldn’t go out of my way to earn Bonvoy Gold status, even if it meant just 5 paid nights as a challenge. A stay of 15 paid nights in 90 days is steep, but Bonvoy Platinum Elite Status does come with certain perks that can be worth it for some members;
- 50% Bonus points on Stays
- Enhanced Room Upgrade
- Welcome Gift Choice
- Annual Gift Choice (for members with 50 qualifying nights);
- 5 Suite Night Awards™
- The gift of Silver Elite status for a friend or family member
- 40% off your favorite mattress
- 5 Elite Night Credits
- $100 charity donation
- Lounge Access
- 4pm Late Checkout
- Enhanced in room Wifi
Before you pull the ‘trigger of participation’, it maybe worth charting out your upcoming stays within a 3 month period. With at least domestic travel back on the table, this promotion may just be the nudge to enjoy Marriott status for 90 days, and for some a challenge worth considering, to maintain that status until Feb 2022!