Points Miles and Bling (blog) contains referral or affiliate links. The blog receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continued support. Credit Card issuers are not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information, and Terms and Conditions, click the link included.
A week after dumping their Hyatt partnership, MGM Resorts announced a 20-year licensing agreement with Marriott International, creating the MGM Collection with Marriott Bonvoy. The new partnership will launch in October 2023 and make 17 MGM resorts available through Marriott’s booking channels by the end of the year. Given the scale and possibilities of the partnership, the excitement amongst loyalty program enthusiasts was palpable. While most expect it to be a replica of the lucrative MGM/Hyatt partnership, several unknowns are at play. Let’s take a look at what we know and what we don’t about the new MGM-Marriott partnership;
MGM Collection with Marriott Bonvoy – What we now know
- The partnership will benefit members of both loyalty programs. MGM Rewards members (40 Million) can link accounts and receive select member benefits. Marriott Bonvoy members (180 Million) can earn and redeem points for stays at all MGM Collection. This unlocks the reciprocal earn and redeem possibilities between the two brands.
- While 17 MGM Resorts destinations will join the MGM Collection with Marriott Bonvoy, only four will be part of the existing Marriott portfolio. The four resorts that will join the Marriott portfolio directly are;
- Bellagio Resort & Casino – The Luxury Collection
- ARIA Resort & Casino – Autograph Collection
- Park MGM Las Vegas – Tribute Portfolio
- The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas – Autograph Collection
Eight MGM Resorts destinations in Las Vegas will join the MGM Collection:
- Vdara Hotel & Spa at ARIA Las Vegas
- MGM Grand Hotel & Casino
- NoMad Las Vegas
- The Signature at MGM Grand
- Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- New York-New York Hotel & Casino
- Luxor Hotel & Casino
- Excalibur Hotel & Casino
Five MGM Resorts destinations in other U.S. locations will also join the MGM Collection:
- Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa (Atlantic City, New Jersey)
- Beau Rivage Resort & Casino (Biloxi, Mississippi)
- MGM Grand Detroit (Detroit, Michigan)
- MGM National Harbor (Oxon Hill, Maryland)
- MGM Springfield (Springfield, Massachusetts)
- Phased onboarding of MGM Collection – Marriott members must wait for each property to be onboarded (starting Oct 2023) before earning and redeeming Bonvoy points.
- BetMGM and Marriott Bonvoy – Lastly, Marriott Bonvoy will also become BetMGM’s exclusive hospitality loyalty program partner in the U.S. and Canada. Under this agreement, Marriott and BetMGM will collaborate to provide Marriott Bonvoy members with opportunities to earn Marriott Bonvoy points on certain BetMGM transactions. In addition, BetMGM Rewards members will have the chance to exchange BetMGM Rewards points for Marriott Bonvoy points.
MGM Collection with Marriott Bonvoy – What we don’t know
When it comes to reciprocal loyalty program benefits, there is a lot we don’t know;
- Status match and tier levels – Given the hint towards linking of accounts and the ability to enjoy select benefits, a Status Match of some kind is likely on the table. The sweet spot within the two programs would be MGM Gold (which offers a resort fee waiver and room upgrade) and Bonvoy Platinum (room upgrade, lounge access, 4 pm check-out, etc.), but the exact mapping remains unknown.
- Tiered benefits – Given that only 4 (Bellagio, Aria, Park MGM, Cosmopolitan) of the 17 MGM resorts are joining the Marriott portfolio brand, there is a good likelihood that we will see a distinction in how elite benefits apply at these properties. Using Cosmopolitan as the template (no breakfast, but do allow upgrade, elite check-in, lounge access, and late check-out), the four properties may see enhanced Elite recognition compared to the other 13.
- Redemption at MGM – With no award charts, I expect Bonvoy to do Bonvoy things.
- Retroactive points – For MGM Gold members that have stays booked for Oct 2023 and beyond, will there be retroactive recognition to earn Bonvoy Elite Night credits or Points once the MGM property is onboarded by year-end? Likely not, but it remains to be seen.
What are the lingering questions in your mind about the new partnership? Share with a comment below.