Points Miles and Bling (blog) contains referral or affiliate links. The blog receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continued support. Credit Card issuers are not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information, and Terms and Conditions, click the link included.
The Aeroplan and Avis partnership has existed for a while, where Aeroplan members can earn a discount on car rentals and some Aeroplan points. Last year, the partnership was enhanced through the Status Match opportunity for Aeroplan Elite members and premium credit card holders – to enjoy benefits like car upgrades, priority handling and more with Avis. Today, the partnership introduces a new earning structure and opens the Status Match opportunity for Core Aeroplan Credit Cardholders.
Aeroplan and Avis – New Earn Structure
While the older earn structure enabled 500 Aeroplan points earned for Avis rentals at airport locations and 250 Aeroplan points earned at Avis off-airport locations and all Budget locations, the new system allows Aeroplan members to earn based on the amount of money spent on their rentals.
Aeroplan Members can earn up to 2 points per dollar spent on the base time and mileage for their Avis, Budget and Payless vehicle rentals.
- Aeroplan Member – 1 point per dollar
- Aeroplan Elite Status Members – 2 points per dollar
The new earning structure will be much more generous for members renting vehicles for longer durations. Here is an example from my recent Avis rental at Melbourne International Airport (MEL) in Australia;
I rented the car for a week, with $648 spent on Base Time and Mileage (at the time, 1 AUD ~= 1 CAD);
- Before: Earned 500 pts (flat earn)
- Now: As an Aeroplan Elite Status member, I would earn 1296 points (2 pts/$), or without status would earn 648 points (1 pts/$)
Aeroplan and Avis – Enhanced Status Match
The Avis Preferred status match program with Aeroplan was previously only available to Aeroplan Elite Status members and premium co-brand cardholders. Now the enhanced version is introducing the ability for Aeroplan core co-brand cardholders to request a complimentary status match with the Avis Preferred program.
- Link to request Avis Preferred status upgrade (link will be live at 10 am EST on July 21st )
- Aeroplan members must already be a member of Avis Preferred to request their upgrade. Or use this link to enrol in Avis Preferred program before requesting the upgrade.
Aeroplan members will be eligible for a status upgrade as follows;
- Aeroplan 25k = Avis Preferred Plus
- Aeroplan 35k = Avis Preferred Plus
- Aeroplan 50k = Avis Preferred Plus
- Aeroplan 75k = Avis President’s Club
- Super Elite = Avis President’s Club
- Core Aeroplan Credit Cardholder = Avis Preferred Plus
- Premium co-brand Cardholder = Avis President’s Club
Avis Preferred Plus benefits include a complimentary one-car-class upgrade whenever available, a special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer service support, and the ability to go straight to your car at most locations.`
Avis President’s Club benefits include a complimentary two-car-class upgrade whenever available, a dedicated reservation/customer service line, and a guaranteed car with a 24-hour reservation.
Important to know:
- The first/last name, email address, area/zip code and last four digits of your driver’s license that members submit on the status enrollment page must match the information on their Avis profile.
- The status match will be in effect immediately but may take up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance by Avis to appear on your Avis Preferred profile.
- Members must maintain Aeroplan Elite Status or continue to hold an Eligible Co-Brand Card to continue to benefit from Avis Preferred Plus or Avis President’s Club status, as the case may be. If Aeroplan Elite Status is lost or lower than in previous years, Aeroplan may share this data with Avis and Avis Preferred status may also be affected.
- Through this status upgrade, the Avis Preferred profile is updated to make Aeroplan points the default rewards currency for car rentals with Avis – which means that car rentals with Avis will automatically earn Aeroplan points instead of Avis Preferred points. However, this can be changed anytime on the Avis Preferred profile.
My status match was confirmed instantly, both on-screen and by email confirmation. Happy Matching!